The program “That 70s Show” aired on Fox from 1998 to 2006 and was the story of Eric and his pals Hyde, Kelso, Fez, Donna and Jackie as they were growing up between 1976 and 1980 in the fictional suburban town of Point Place, Wisconsin.
The cable channel IFC, which was added to my basic cable package earlier this year, airs the show and recently I got reacquainted with some of my favorite episodes.
The following is a top 10 list of my favorite episodes in seasonal order. There are from the first four seasons. I didn’t enjoy the show after that. I didn’t think it was as funny or good as the first four seasons.
1. “That ’70s Pilot” (Season 1) — Red Foreman gives his son, Eric, the keys to the Vista Cruiser and a legend is born.
2. “Streaking” (Season 1) — The guys decide to go streaking at a rally when President Ford comes to Point Place. Donna deals with wearing an American flag jumpsuit her dad, Bob, makes her wear at the rally.
3. “The Pill” (Season 1) — Jackie thinks she’s pregnant by Kelso. It was a funny and intelligent way to bring a social topic, teen pregnancy, to the show.
4. “Water Tower” (Season 1) — The gang tries to paint a pot leave on the town water tower. Kelso falls and when Eric goes to get his mom, Kitty, a nurse to come and help, he interrupts Red and Kitty. Well, I think you know what I mean.
5. “Holy Crap!” (Season 2) — Kitty can’t get Eric and his sister, Laurie, to go to church.
6. “Eric Gets Suspended (Season 2) — Eric gets caught holding one of Donna’s cigarettes. And Red really turns on the discipline!
7. “Canadian Road Trip” (Season 3) — The boys head to Canada to buy beer. They are stopped by Canadian customs and their rendition of the country’s national anthem “O Canada” is one of the series’ funniest moments.
8. “Eric’s Panties” (Season 3) — Donna finds a pair of panties in the Vista Cruiser and they don’t belong to her. The final moments contain one of the series’ funniest moments as well.
9. “Prank Day” (Season 4) — The guys all try to outrank each other. It doesn’t end well.
10. “The Class Picture (Season 4) — The crew look back on how they met each other. At the end of the episode is a yearbook page that shows what the gang were “most likely to.” Very funny.
Visit ifc.com to see when the show airs.
UNTIL NEXT TIME. . .